Workday is a cloud-based financial management and human capital management software vendor. The software is targeted at enterprise customers typically 2000+ and above.
Sapling is the market leading employee onboarding and people operations platform for mid-market and enterprise customers. The platform is targeted at enterprise customers onboarding 100+ people per year.
How the integration works
Sapling gathers all new hires from the Workday system and allows administrative users to coordinate a streamlined and repeatable onboarding program for all new hires (including documents, workflows, profile and email templates) and then updates user data directly in Workday.
The Sapling and Workday integration is a two way sync that involves:
- Sapling collecting new Worker IDs from Workday which have already been created (either manually or by an ATS)
- Sapling adding these new hires to Pending Hires to Sapling with the attached Worker ID
- Sapling coordinating a streamlined and repeatable onboarding program for all new hires (including data collection for new hires, managers and Admins)
- Sapling updating profiles in Workday based on the Worker ID
- Sapling update changes from Workday during the employee life cycle
- Sapling will pull transfer info from Workday during the employee life cycle (title changes, terminations etc.)
The Sapling<>Workday integration uses the following Workday’s APIs.
Example onboarding workflow with Sapling
1. Candidate hired event in Lever
- New Hire is created in Workday
- Sapling calls Workday service and retrieves new Worker IDs (daily, 5:30 am PST)
- Sapling adds new hire to Pending Hires with Worker ID plus other new hire information from Workday saved in the database in the Sapling users table
- Invitation sent to New Hire
- Assigns Activities and notifies key stakeholders
3. New Hire completes Preboarding through Sapling
- Preboarding complete notice sent to stakeholders
- Sapling updates
The average customer commitment for integrating Sapling and Workday is 10-20 hours.
The customer requirements are:
- An existing method for creating new hires in Workday
- Sharing access to customer Workday sandbox environment to validate the connector
- Security profiles must be set up correctly
- Reference IDs for key fields must be mapped by the customer
- Business processes to be configured between Workday and Sapling
Setting up the Integration
Outlined below are the key steps to set-up the Sapling<>Workday integration. It is advised to complete testing in your sandbox environment before moving to production.
- Set-up appropriate field mapping between Sapling and Workday
- Add Workday service account credentials to Sapling’s integration portal
- Sync current Workday records
- Run a test onboarding with your Sapling Customer Success Manager
Your Sapling Customer Success Manager will be able to walk you through the process
Onboarding Process with Sapling and Workday
Step #1 - A New Hire is created in Workday by an Applicant Tracking System
For new hire onboarding, Sapling checks Workday for new hires in a certain period, and adds them to the pending hires bay in Sapling.
The Worker ID is attached to this team member which is used to push updates back to Workday.
Step #2 - Program Lead initiates onboarding in Sapling
Learn more about Onboarding a New Hire
Step #3 - New Hire completes Preboarding through Sapling
Sapling's Preboarding portal is designed to provide a consistent and informative introduction in your new organization, and collect the data that your team needs for your first day.
The About You section collects all the data and paperwork you need for your employee record. Front-loading this administration is essential work for preboarding and enables Program Leads to ensure day one is exciting and strategically engaging.
To ensure data management, learn more here.
Step #4 - The New Hire data is sent to Workday
Sapling is continually expanding the number of fields that sync between Sapling<>Workday based on those that become available on Workday’s APIs.
A full list of Sapling<>Workday Integration Fields are available here.
Step #5 - Changes in Workday are synchronized to Sapling daily
Any changes that are made in Workday to the available fields will sync over from Workday and be reflected in Sapling. Changes are synchronized daily at 5:30 am.
i. Data Syncing between Sapling and Workday
For initial setup or two way syncing, Sapling can pull all of your company’s active employees from Workday to set up your Sapling Account.
Sapling customer success team will work with your Workday System Administrator to get the necessary credentials and security profiles configured.
A connection can then be created between Sapling’s UserID and Workday’s Associate ID. Sapling also creates a connection between new hires sent to Workday.
Sapling will sync daily with Workday based on the available fields, and you can also re-sync your Workday information to Sapling at any time by pressing “Sync Workday Changes” in the integration settings. This will update your employee information in Sapling by pulling from Workday.
ii. Offboarding with Sapling and Workday
While Sapling could offboard employees in Workday, offboarding from Payroll systems involves a number of assumptions and should be managed separated by Payroll and HR professionals.
The best practice workflow for customers using the Sapling<>Workday integration for offboarding is to utilize an offboarding workflow in Sapling, with Workday offboarding being a subtask of that workflow. Sapling does not update any information in Workday for an offboarding event.
For example - the Offboarding Workflow in Sapling would be comprised of 20 tasks across multiple stakeholders (including Exiting Employees, Managers, IT and Payroll teams) that are notified of the offboarding.
The task ‘Offboard in Workday’ would be assigned to one of these stakeholders including the new hires information (including termination dates, last day worked, termination type etc.)
iii. Managing Locations, Teams and Business Units
- Fetch departments, locations and business units when the Workday integration is initiated
- Fetch departments, locations and business units when the Sync Workday Changes is selected
Sapling does not sync new departments, locations and business units each night, however sync’s the specific changes for team members that have changed departments, locations and business units. If the team member has changed to a department, location or business that is not in Sapling - it will sync as nil.
For fields not matching from your ATS to Workday, this can be updated in Sapling to ensure the correct information is sent to Workday.
iv. Sapling<>Workday Field Mapping
A complete list of integrated fields and API scopes is available here - Sapling <> Workday Web Services (March 10, 2019) - and also listed below
- First Name
- Preferred Name
- Last Name
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Zip Code
- Home / Mobile Phone Number
- Personal Email
- Marital Status
- Citizenship Status
- Military Service
- Start Date
- Worker ID
- Job Title
- Employee Status
- Emergency Contact
- Emergency Contact Relationship
- Emergency Contact Phone
- New Hire Documents
Pulled from Workday to Sapling
- Cost Center
- Sub Division
- Termination Date
- Last Day Worked
- Termination Reason
- Employee Type (Intern, Temporary Worker, etc.)