Sapling's Offboarding module ensures visibility over all critical tasks for departing team members.
Just like onboarding, you can create a consistent and repeatable process to ensure a smooth transition. Here is a quick video tutorial.
How to Offboard a Team Member
To initiate offboarding, navigate from Home > Dashboard. Click on "Offboard" in the upper righthand corner.
*note: if you are a Manager and your HR Admin has given you Offboarding authority (to enable, see Manager Permission Levels) – you can start the offboarding process directly from your team member's profile.
Step 1: Fill out the associated information for the team member to confirm offboarding.
- Full Name: select team member you'd like to offboard
- Termination Type: voluntary, involuntary, or other
- Eligible For Rehire: yes, no, upon review
- Date of Termination: the official last date of employment
- Last Day Worked: used in relation to assigning tasks. Typically, this date is the same at the termination date - however if needed can be adjusted (for ex: if an official termination date is Friday 1/15, but last day worked is Wednesday 1/13, all offboarding tasks assigned to the employee will be completed in relation to 1/13)
- Access cut off: select when you'd like the employee to no longer be able to access Sapling
Step 2: Re-assign roles and active tasks.
- If a manager is offboarded, you can reassign their former direct reports to a new manager
- Active tasks can be reassigned to new task owners
- Templated Workflows can get removed or reassigned to other team members, keeping them within Sapling even after your former team member leaves the organization
Step 3: Assign an Offboarding workflow for any tasks that the team member needs to complete before their departure (optional).
Step 5: Schedule the offboarding email that outlines exit procedures. *note: click on the template to customize the email
Offboarding vs. deleting team member data
Offboarding team members keeps their profile information. You'll be able to access the team member's information in the future and have visibility into the information that was on file.Deleting team members will remove their profile information from Sapling entirely as if they never existed. We do not recommend to ever delete a team member (unless in the case of an accidental duplicate account).