Smart Emails give you visibility and flexibility over all communication during all employee life cycle transitions (like Onboarding, Offboarding, Relocations, Promotions, etc.).
How does it work?
To view Smart Emails, navigate from Home > Emails. All of the communication/notifications your team will receive from Sapling will live here.
In the Smart Emails tab, there are five tab options: Sent, Scheduled, Templates, Platform, and Settings.
The Sent tab displays all templated emails that have been sent to your team members.
Use the top filters to search for specific team members by name or email address, adjust the date to view all emails sent on a specific day, or filter by Department, Location, Division, Employment Status, or associated Process Type (i.e. Onboarding, Offboarding etc.)
The "Status" column is where to find insights on the current state of the sent email. In this column, you will see 3 status types:
- Delivered: the email has been sent, but has not been opened
- Opened: the email has been opened by the recipient (the # of opens will be displayed as well)
- Not delivered: the email soft/hard bounced. *note: our system will continue to try to send the email in this case, so if it was a soft bounce check back in 24h. if the status is still N/A, then the email address is blocked or incorrect.
The Scheduled tab shows you all the templated emails that are scheduled to be sent at a future date.
Use the top filters to search for specific team members by name or email address, adjust the date to view all emails scheduled for a specific day, or filter by Department, Location, Division, Employment Status, or associated Process Type.
You can also schedule a one-off email directly from the Scheduled tab. To do this, click "Schedule an Email," select what template you'd like to use (if any), and select the date it should be sent.
To edit/delete an existing scheduled email, use the righthand side menu to select "Remove" to delete or "Edit" to adjust. In the "Edit" menu, you can adjust any component of the email (text, attachments, and/or the date the email is scheduled to be sent).
The templates tab offers a single place for you to create an unlimited number of email templates for any HR process you want to standardize.
Each template is assigned to an HR process type (like Onboarding, Offboarding, Relocations, Promotions, or Ad Hoc if it's a one-off) so we can auto-suggest these templates when you're assigning workflows to an employee.
To add a new template, from the Templates tab click "Create Template." Assign a process type, name the email (only you will see this name), and fill out the template.
Next, decide who should have access to the template (i.e. what Permission group should be able to see it) as well as who the template is for. Click save when complete.
From there, you can use the righthand menu to Edit, Duplicate, or Remove the template.
The Platform tab offers visibility over all automatic platform notifications/alerts that Sapling sends out based on triggers in the system (for ex: when a document is completed or a task is assigned).
Notifications come pre-built and are messages triggered by certain actions in Sapling. Alerts are a way to send custom updates to entire groups about relevant employee events.
In Notifications, use the toggle to turn a notification on/off. If you'd like to edit a notification, click on it to open the Edit menu and click "Update" when complete.
In Alerts, similarly you can use the toggle to turn the alerts on/off. To add a new alert, click "Add new," specify who the alert should be apply to, and who should be notified. Click "Save Alert" when complete.
The Setting tab help gives you additional customization options that applies to all notifications in the system.
Here, you can turn on/off specific features, choose your notification frequency, as well as decide the "Sender Name" for all of your emails (i.e. have all Sapling emails come from "Rocketship People Ops Team")
How to send Smart Emails
Once you have your Smart Email templates set up, there are a few different ways to send them to your team. Below is a breakdown of how they will receive emails (i.e. personal email vs. employee email) from you depending on the method of delivery.
- Directly from your Emails tab (as highlighted above) = ALL emails scheduled here go to the company email
- On Step #4 when you are onboarding a new employee = ALL emails scheduled at this step will go to the employee's personal email (even if they are scheduled for after the employee start date)
- Using the Admin actions menu directly from an employee profile = ALL emails go to company email
- Sending an email from the dashboard = if you're re-sending an invite to Sapling, this will go to the employee's personal email. If you're sending a direct email, this will go to the company email
- Emailing via the people directory = ALL emails go to company email by default, but if this is missing then it will go to the employee's personal email
Our suggested best practice on how to send emails: we suggest to schedule all Onboarding-related only emails during Step #4 of the onboarding process. Then, use your Emails tab to schedule all future emails (to ensure Onboarding emails -> personal email, and all future emails go to company email!)