What is Sapling’s Approval Engine?
Approvals help your team stay in top of changes that team members are making to information in Sapling. Whether you’re finalizing a promotion, or updating company job titles, Sapling makes it easy to protect the integrity of your HR Data. You can create as many levels of approval as you need.
For example, if you're setting up a workflow for salary changes, you can create the following (hypothetical) workflow:
- Salary changes must be requested by department leads
- They must first be reviewed by the Head Of Finance
- Then the CEO has final sign off before it goes into effect
Setting up an approval:
- As an admin, Login to Sapling and click on Profile Setup, in your admin toolbar
- Navigate to the Custom Tables tab
- Click on Modify Table Details, located in the overflow menu
- By default, custom tables do not require approval. Select Approval Required, and choose the first person (or group of people) best fit to approve a change to the information.
- Repeat step #4 as many times as you see best fit. There is no limit to the amount of levels you can create in an approval chain.
- Adjust the expiration period, if needed. By default, change requests will remain open for 7 days.
- Click Save
Once an approval has been configured, all change requests to that table will need to be reviewed by the approver or permission group.
Frequently Asked Questions
What information can approvers see?
- An approver’s ability to see information is dependent on their scope of approval (the type of requests, as defined in a custom table).
- Kyle Rufus, Head of Finance, is set to receive all salary change requests from managers.
- Angela Koo, Chief Technology Officer, is set to receive all requests for new computer and software
Who can request a change to tabular data?
- A team member’s ability to request a change is informed by their permission. If they have View and Edit permissions for a data table (such as Role), then they will be able to request a change.
How are approvers notified of a change request?
Approvers will see the following:
- An email informing them of the new request
- A widget on Sapling’s their updates page informing them of the request